The Lost Art of Letter Writing
Written by: Frances B.
How to Write a Letter, According to Hemingway
Letter writing is a dying art form—but a still noble one. We turn to Ernest Hemingway, a master letter writer himself, for tips on how to pen an old-school “screed.”
1. Open with a compliment.
2. Own up to being late.
3. Or blame your job (especially when writing to your parents).
4. Tell them what’s new.
5. Share reading recommendations.
6. Offer honest advice.
7. Show the love.
8. Encourage a prompt reply.
9. Remind them to stay in touch.
10. Last but not least, mail the letter quickly!
For more on Hemingway’s letters, visit The Letters of Ernest Hemingway, Volume 2 (1923-1925).